Sunday, July 6, 2008

Saturn, Neptune and "The Hobo Complex”

About a month ago I started formulating a plan to “tour” the country in July, doing astrology readings along the way. It was a lovely image; seeing the country and friends I haven't seen for a while, and making money as I go.

I thought I'd begin at the annual Grahamstown Arts Festival that is held at the beginning of July every year, and where I have very successfully set up my astrology shop in the past. Thereafter I thought I'd pop in at Knysna, and then on to Cape Town...

I checked my own Transits with with care and interest as the time for my departure approached. I noticed that Transiting Saturn (early in Virgo) would be Square my Natal Neptune (early in Sagittarius) during the first half of July, with Mars joining Saturn's exact Square to my Neptune around 10-11 July. I decided to postpone this adventure till the end of July, when Jupiter arrives at a Square to my Sun.

Some people would understandably question the enlightenment of basing relatively important decisions on celestial configurations. I asked myself the same question before deciding to not to launch myself into a relatively demanding and risky escapade, but I decided to trust my astrological judgment in this case, since I would need lots of “luck” and vitality to make it work, and it would be very costly if it didn't.

Of course we can never know what would have happened if I had taken a leap of faith into the frenetic world of the arts festival and other envisaged travels, but I have found it interesting to observe just how “flat” things have been recently, which seems to vindicate my assumption that this would not be a particularly lucky time for me.

Saturn represents practical and concrete things and is thus often associated with one's work and the material aspects of one's life. By contrast Neptune is the least material and concrete planet imaginable and is associated with emotional sensitivity, surrender and fantasy. Saturn in combination with Neptune could represent a challenge to integrate spiritual and material values, and although this can manifest as some sort of austere simplicity and spiritual discipline (the Dalai Lama has these two planets in Opposition in his natal chart), hard aspects between Saturn and Neptune often manifest as disillusionment and depression. Worldly duties may become unbearable, and there may be unusual difficulties in keeping one's material life well organized.

Once a friend of mine, while under Transiting Saturn Opposition Natal Neptune, dreamed he was crossing over a bamboo bridge which initially seemed strong and stable, but then collapsed, and he found himself falling into a murky bottomless abyss.

While I have not lately been depressed, various practical aspects of my life have been less than well ordered. I find myself avoiding work that I really need to get done, and my bank has made mistakes with my accounts that they are at a loss to explain, and it's not over yet!

I sometimes refer to these Saturn/Neptune combinations as “The Hobo Complex”, since people affected by it often give up on trying to keep their material life together, and at times they even resort to drink as an escape from life's challenges. This “renunciation” theme can also take the form of the the austere spiritual discipline alluded to earlier, which can make Saturn/Neptune aspects the “Signature of the Yogi” or spiritual hermit. You may even find some hobos (or yogis) in whom the distinction between spiritual renunciation and mere failure is rather hard to discern. There is a time for retreat and contemplative detachment from worldly things, and those that resist the call to rest, withdraw and simplify their lives may attract forces beyond the control that will erode their rigid resistance through loss and disappointment. For others Saturn/Neptune can represent a time to summon backbone and face the cold world with determination and fortitude, despite being completely discouraged, because we cannot indefinitely avoid any task or duty that is really ours, and turning to face a daunting task tends to reveal that it is not so insurmountable after all.

1 comment:

Shop Girl said...

I have just had transiting Saturn square my natal Neptune. The desire to avoid work and to sleep all day has been over-whelming! I succumbed and spent the last 3 days in bed with a book. Bliss!